Friday, March 14, 2008

Explanation for "HeyMay"

Someone asked me today what the word "HeyMay" means....so I thought I'd explain it here.

My middle son, who is now 7 years old, and his very best friend (who lives in Ponte Vedra Beach, FL) made this word up when they were about 3 years old.

One day, they began saying it all the time. Instead of, "Oh Darn" it would be, "Oh HeyMay".
Instead of, "Hi, how you doing?", they would say, "Hi, HeyMay, how you doing?" So my son's friend and I started saying it. In our case, instead of "Oh, SH*T", we could say the much better sounding, "OH HEYMAY" ...and everyone just kind of got it.

It became the word that you could replace any other word with -- and it worked perfectly in every situation.

I once asked my then 3 year old what "HeyMay" meant, and he said to me, "It means half circle half circle Mom, duh!" So I left it at that.

We used this word a lot. As far as I know, my son's friend's mother still uses it a lot, and it has even become her nickname by some people ( and shortened to Heym's I heard). A lot of other people in our "hood" used/use it too.

That is the meaning behind my blog name: it IS HeyMay here every day!! HA.

No comments: